Tuesday, July 21, 2026

The Parent I Never Expected to Become

By: Erica L. Taylor

No one prepares you for the parent you'll become when your child needs you in ways you never imagined.

No one dreams about becoming an expert in disability law, medical terminology, special education, insurance policies, or government benefits.

Yet somehow, here I am.

When I imagined becoming a mother, I pictured bedtime stories, family vacations, birthday parties, singing the ABCs together, and cheering from the sidelines of whatever sport my son decided to play. I imagined celebrating milestones, watching him grow more independent, and slowly stepping back as he found his place in the world.

I never imagined hospital waiting rooms, therapy appointments that would fill our calendar and endless meetings with doctors, specialists, educators, therapists, and insurance companies. I never imagined spending late nights researching diagnoses, reading special education laws, learning medical terminology, or trying to understand systems that often felt impossible to navigate.

Most of all, I never imagined that becoming a parent would transform me into someone I never expected to be.

And if you're reading this, maybe you didn't imagine it either.

Whether your child has a diagnosis, a disability, a chronic illness, or simply walks a different path than you expected, you probably know what it feels like when parenting becomes something no one prepared you for.


The Dreams We All Carry

Before our children are born, most of us carry the same dreams.

We imagine first words, first days of school, birthday parties, sleepovers, friendships, graduations, careers, relationships, and someday watching our children build lives of their own.

We assume milestones will arrive in order because that's what the parenting books tell us.

We believe motherhood and fatherhood will be about teaching, nurturing, encouraging, and watching our children grow.

What many of us don't realize is that sometimes parenting also asks us to become fighters.

No one tells you that you'll have to advocate in rooms where your child isn't fully understood.

No one tells you that you'll spend hours on the phone with insurance companies, filling out paperwork that never seems to end, or waiting months—or even years—for services your child desperately needs.

No one tells you that loving your child sometimes means learning an entirely new language made up of diagnoses, acronyms, evaluations, therapies, and laws.

Those aren't chapters you'll find in most parenting books.

Yet for many of us, they become part of everyday life.

Before the Diagnosis. After the Diagnosis.

For me, motherhood became divided into two chapters.

Before the diagnosis.

And after.

Whether those words come during a doctor's appointment, after months of evaluations, or following years of unanswered questions, they change something inside you.

Your mind fills with questions.

The emotions that follow don't always make sense.

For a long time, I struggled to admit that I felt grief. Yes, grief.

My son was alive. He was happy. His smile could brighten even my darkest day.

So how could I possibly be grieving?

Eventually, I realized something that changed everything.

I wasn't grieving my son. I was grieving the picture of motherhood I had carried in my heart for so many years. I was grieving the future I thought we'd have. The expectations I didn't even realize I had. The version of parenting I believed everyone else was living.

That kind of grief doesn't mean you love your child any less.

It means you're learning to let go of the story you thought your life would follow so you can fully embrace the beautiful story that's unfolding instead.

Because grief is simply love trying to find its place in a future you never expected.

Redefining Success

Somewhere along the way, I stopped measuring my son's life against someone else's timeline.

I stopped comparing him to milestones in parenting books or wondering why our journey looked different.

Instead, I began celebrating his timeline.

Because success isn't one-size-fits-all.

Sometimes success is speaking one new word or making eye contact for the first time or a little longer. Sometimes it's trying a new food. Sometimes it's learning a life skill, expressing a need, tolerating a difficult situation, making a friend, or simply making it through a hard day.

Those victories matter and deserve to be celebrated just as loudly as any graduation, championship, or promotion.

Because progress isn't measured by speed.

It's measured by courage.


The Parent I Never Planned to Become

No parenting book prepared me for the many roles I would eventually take on.

I became an advocate.

A researcher.

A therapist at home.

A medical coordinator.

A case manager.

An insurance expert.

An IEP strategist.

A behavior detective.

A counselor.

A disability rights advocate.

None of those titles came overnight.

They were earned one appointment, one phone call, one difficult conversation, one late-night Google search, one book read, and one stack of paperwork at a time.

I learned acronyms I never wanted to know. I became familiar with laws I never imagined I'd need. I spent evenings researching disabilities, therapies, educational rights, medical conditions, and government benefits instead of relaxing after a long day.

Yet, I still don't consider myself an expert. The only thing I truly consider myself an expert in is being Landon's mom.

Everything else is something I continue learning every single day. Because advocacy isn't about knowing everything.

It's about refusing to stop learning for the person who depends on you.

The Greatest Teacher in My Life

Looking back now, I realize my son has been teaching me all along. When I was younger, I thought we learned life's greatest lessons from adults.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Landon has taught me that progress cannot always be measured by speed. That resilience often grows quietly. That compassion matters more than comparison. That flexibility is stronger than perfection. That joy can be found in moments many people overlook.

He has taught me patience, humility, courage, grace, and a kind of unconditional love that changes who you are.

Most importantly, he has taught me to see people beyond their diagnoses, labels, or limitations. Because every person deserves to be known for who they are—not simply for the challenges they face.


If You're Walking This Road Too

If you're the parent who cries in the car after appointments...

If you're exhausted from advocating...

If you're wondering whether you're doing enough...

If you've stayed up late researching because you refuse to give up...

If you've questioned yourself more times than you can count...

I want you to know something.

You are not failing.

You are becoming.

You are becoming stronger than you knew you could be, more compassionate than you ever imagined, and more resilient than you thought possible.

You may not recognize yourself anymore.

I know I didn't.

But that isn't because you've lost who you were.

It's because this journey has revealed parts of you that were always there—parts that only love could uncover.

The Parent Your Child Needed

I never imagined motherhood would look like this.

If I'm honest, there are still days when I wish the road had been easier for my son. But I no longer wish our story were someone else's.

Because this journey has given me something I never expected.

Purpose.

It has shown me that sometimes the life we planned isn't the life that changes us the most. Sometimes the detours become the destination. Sometimes our greatest purpose grows from our greatest challenges.

That's why I share our story. That's why I continue learning. That's why I advocate—not only for my son, but for every family trying to find their way through a journey they never expected.

Because maybe, just maybe, another parent will read these words and realize they aren't walking this road alone.

And if that's you, I hope you remember this:

You may never have imagined becoming this parent.

But somewhere along the way, through every tear, every victory, every appointment, every setback, every milestone, and every act of unwavering love...

You became exactly the parent your child needed.

And that is one of the most extraordinary things you'll ever become.


#AutismAcceptance #AutismAwareness #ActuallyAutisticAlly #Neurodiversity #Neurodivergent
#AutismSupport #SeeTheAbility #AutismAdvocate #AutismCommunity #AcceptanceMatters



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment—it truly means more than you know. 💛
If this post spoke to you, just know you’re not alone in this journey. I’m really glad you’re here.
Feel free to share it with someone who might need it too. We’re building something really special here.